The ALLMemphis Structured Literacy Intervention Comprehensive Education (SLICE) course is designed to provide you with a thorough understanding of how to support struggling readers, including those from diverse backgrounds. This Orton-Gillingham training focuses on the foundational skills necessary to provide students with a solid foundation in early literacy.
In this 40-hour training that is part of our full 90-hour course accredited by the International Dyslexia Association, you will learn about the Science of Reading, the Top 5 components vital to becoming proficient in reading, and how to implement ALLMemphis' multi-sensory, sequential, and direct-instruction techniques in your own instruction.
The focus of this 40-hour course is to provide a well-rounded overview of the following skills:
- Science of Reading
- Foundational Literacy
- Phonological Awareness
- Phonics (including Decoding/Encoding, Syllabication)
- The Orton-Gillingham Approach
This course is applicable for anyone wanting to increase their knowledge in foundation reading, including:
- General education teachers
- Special education teachers
- Instructors of English Language Learners
- Reading interventionists
- RTI instructors
- School administration
In this course, participants will learn:
- The importance of teaching foundational literacy
- What is the Science of Reading
- What are the most important components of reading
- Multi-sensory, structured, and sequential instructional techniques for phonological awareness and phonics acquisition
- In-depth strategies for providing instruction in Phonemic Awareness and Phonics
- Strategies for incorporating fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension
- ALLMemphis-Structured Literacy Intervention Comprehensive Education (SLICE) Training Manual
- ALLMemphis Lower and Upper Card Decks
- Teaching Reading Sourcebook
Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Time for lunch and breaks are built into the schedule.